(Yields 6 servings)
6 apples (Gala or Rome Beauty work best, but any tart red apple will do)
2 Tbsp Lemon juice
¼ cup Chopped dried apricots
¼ cup Dried cherries or cranberries
¼ cup Raisins or dried currants
¼ cup Toasted pecans or walnuts, chopped
¼ cup Packed brown sugar
½ tsp Cinnamon
¼ tsp Nutmeg
1 Tbsp Butter, softened
1 Tbsp Butter, cold, cut into 6 pieces
¾ cup Apple cider (w/o added sugar)
½ tsp Vanilla
1 cup vanilla yogurt
¼ cup maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Core apples using corer or melon baller.
- Stand apples up in a glass or ceramic baking pan. Make 4 evenly spaced vertical cuts starting from the top of each apple and going halfway down the side (keeping apple intact.)
- Rub insides of apples with lemon juice.
- In mixing bowl, toss together fruits, nuts, sugar and spices. Use your fingers to blend softened butter into this mix.
- Pack fruit/nut mix into apples. Put one piece of cold butter on top of each apple.
- Combine cider and vanilla and pour into baking dish. Cover dish tightly with foil.
- Bake until apples are beginning to get tender (check by piercing with fork), approx 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake until apples are soft but not falling apart, approx 20-30 minutes more.
- Cool apples slightly in pan, then transfer to plates. Top each apple with yogurt and drizzle with remaining pan juices and/or maple syrup if desired.