PUMPKIN – APPLE BREAD
(Yields two loaves)
1 Tbsp All purpose flour
5 Tbsp Granulated sugar
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp Butter, softened
3 cups All purpose flour
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking soda
1 ½ tsp Ground cinnamon
1 tsp Grated nutmeg
¼ tsp Ground cloves
¼ tsp Ground allspice
15 oz Canned pumpkin (one small can)
¾ cup Vegetable or coconut oil
2 ¼ cup Granulated sugar
4 Large eggs, beaten
2 medium Granny smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped (to yield 2 cups)
- Make the topping by blending all ingredients together in a small bowl with a fork or your fingertips until it resembles coarse meal.
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter two 9×5 loaf pans.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, soda, and spices.
- In large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, oil, sugar and eggs.
- Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and stir until well combined. Use a rubber spatula to fold in apples until evenly distributed.
- Divide batter between loaf pans. Sprinkle half of topping over each loaf.
- Bake until a wooden toothpick or skewer inserted in center of bread comes out clean, 50-60 minutes.
- Cool in pan on rack for 45 minutes. Turn out of pan onto rack and cool for 1 hour before slicing.
- This bread keeps, well-wrapped and refrigerated, for up to a week. It also freezes well (wrap first in plastic and then in foil before freezing.)