AUTUMN VEGETABLE SOUP
Serves 4-6 as a main course
1 large Sweet or yellow onion, diced
Big pinch Kosher salt
2 medium Carrots, diced ½ inch
2 stalks Celery, diced small
2 cloves Garlic, minced
6 cups Low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
2 Bay leaves
2 medium Russet potatoes (about ¾ pound), peeled and diced ½ inch
¾ pound Celeriac (aka celery root), peeled and diced ½ inch
2 tsp Minced fresh thyme leaves
2 cups Seeded, diced tomato (or one 14-oz can, drained)
1 cup Frozen, shelled soybeans (edamame) or fava beans
1 ear Corn, shucked, kernels cut from cob (or ¾ cup frozen corn)
¼ cup Minced fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup Grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in heavy bottomed stockpot over medium high heat. Add onion and sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until onion softens and begins to brown.
- Turn down heat to medium. Add carrots and celery. Cook while stirring for three minutes. Add garlic, cook another two minutes.
- Add broth and bay leaves. Turn heat up to high and bring soup to a simmer.
- Turn heat back down to medium and add potatoes and celeriac. Cook for ten minutes, adjusting heat as needed to maintain a slow simmer.
- Add thyme, tomato, corn and beans. Cook for at least ten minutes. Use a spoon to smash some of the potato chunks against the side of the pot to thicken the soup. Add a little water or broth as needed to adjust consistency.
- Add chopped parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into serving bowls. If desired, sprinkle each serving with parmesan cheese.